Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Racism

Terry: “You know, I’ve had to face a lot of racism in this industry.”

Reese: “Yeah?”

Terry: “You know, as a black man, they’re always trying to mess with a brother.”

Reese [rolls eyes, not really paying attention]: “Uh-huh…”

Terry: “Yeah, you know like once I took this summer associate gig at this firm in California. Real hoity-toity** kind of place- run by Mormons.”

“The firm had never had a black attorney work for them, so they felt they had to prepare the employees for my arrival.”


Reese: “Oh, yeah? What did they do?”

Terry: “Now, when I tell you this you’re not going to believe it…”

“Basically, the senior partners got all of the women in the firm together. Junior partners, associate attorneys, paralegals, secretaries, everyone. All of the women…”


Reese: “Yeah?”

Terry: “Yeah, so they got all of the women employees together and had this big meeting, right? And at the meeting they tell the women that a black man will be joining the firm…”

Reese: “Yeah?”

Terry: “And then they tell the women that they have to “be careful” of the new employee.”

Reese [outraged]: “WHAT?!?!”

Terry: “Yup! They told the women that they have to be careful because a black man is coming and that they should watch out for themselves and remember that the firm does not allow office romances.”

Reese: “OH MY GOD!!”

Terry: “Yup. They actually thought that I was going to be some sort of over-sexualized creature who was going to prey upon the female employees or, in the alternative, some sort of rapist who would take sex from the female employees.”

Reese: “Get the hell out of here!!”

Terry: “Nah man, I’m totally serious. That actually happened.”

Reese: “Man, that’s whack!”

Terry: “Yup.”

Reese: “But wait a minute…how did you find out about the meeting? I know the partners didn’t just tell you they had some secret sex meeting warning the female employees to stay away from you.”

Terry: “Nah, nah. I found out one night after I slept with one of the female partners.”

Reese: [silent]

Terry: “Yeah, I mean there I was, in bed with the female partner after an awesome night of hot sex and she told me how the firm was racist and had this super-secret sex meeting warning people not to have sex with me. Can you believe that?!?”

Reese: “Terry…”

Terry: “Yeah?”

Reese: “YOU ARE RIDICULOUS!!!!”

Terry: “What?!?!”

Reese: “You slept with one of the partners!?! At a SUMMER job!?! How long were you there for before you slept with her? 2 days?!?!”

Terry: “Man, it had to be a week at least.”

Reese: “Oh my god!”

Terry: “What?”

Reese: “That’s ridiculous, Terry!!!”

Terry: “They were racists, Reese!”

Reese: “OH MY GOD!! SHUT-UP!! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!”

Terry: “But, they were…”

Reese: “SHUT-UP!!!”



**Use of the word “hoity-toity” is especially for Jessica R. ;)



© Copyright 2006. All Rights Reserved.


12 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I almost just fell off my chair laughing! That's hilarious...in a sad sort of way.

Keep writing...you're really good!

11:47 PM  
Blogger KOM said...

That is the funniest and most disturbing thing I've ever read at the same time.

3:00 AM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Liz: I know! I was trying to hold in my laughter and scold him at the same time. But, it is really funny. :)

Thanx for the compliment and thanx for reading. :)

Kom: I agree. It's like a funny edition of the Twilight Zone- it's disturbingly racist and yet a hilarious example of self-fulfilling prophecy. lol

6:16 AM  
Blogger This Girl I Used to Know said...

While I am truly disturbed at the idea of the little meeting they held... I think it would have been hilariously fitting if after he found out about it he had tried to sleep with as many of the female partners as he could... would serve 'em right!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

He struck back at the empire...or something like that. I only wonder is she one of his references.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Strength/Courage/Wisdom said...

oh heavy sigh! that was hilarious. i'm both outraged at the super secret meeting and outraged at your friend. sheesh. well, at least he waited a week to have sex with her!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Desiree said...

He waited a week. What's wrong with that?

5:07 PM  
Blogger Jessica R. said...

hahaha - THANKS REESE!!

I see that word everywhere now.

ps - guess where i'm headed right now - back to Jury Duty!!! UGGHHHH
I need to get out of this.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

I'm with Desiree, at least it took him a week.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Juicy77 said...

Ah yes, I think you told me about this dude. I swear... I just swear. I bet you wanted to shake him.
Way to perpetuate a stereotype, Terry!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I agree with Liz it was funny and sad all at the same time.

2:54 PM  
Blogger derek said...

Nah, I don't think he perpetuated a stereotype. I just think Ms. Partner's anti-authoritarian streak, sex drive and curiousity worked together with his attraction to her to make for a normal, consensual night of sex.

Let's not forget that the perversion here is the meeting and what it implicitly and explicitly said:

"Black men have no sexual control. Be wary of them."

It's time to call the EEOC, if you ask me. Sure, he shouldn't have dipped the pen in the company ink (much less with a superior, but that's another issue) but other than that, I see nothing wrong with him getting together with a grown woman with a mutual attraction.

I have been the only black man at a job before so I have visited that fishbowl. Since I was on the margins anyway, I didn't have to worry about the company ink.

I just hope that law firm has no bearing on my affairs..

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home