Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years: Where Were You?

September 11, 2001

8:45am


Oh, what a beautiful morning. Oh, what a beautiful day. Everything’s coming out clearly. Everything’s going my way.


Is that how that song goes? However it goes, it certainly is a gorgeous day out today. Too bad I’m stuck in Intellectual Property instead of enjoying the sun.


Man, I should have been like “Lisa” today! Sleep in, skip class, and enjoy this great day. Instead, I’m stuck in IP having to take extra great notes so that “Lisa” won’t fall behind. Gawd! I’m such a goodie-goodie!!




September 11, 2001

9:50am


Yawn! Well, that was boring.


Hmmm…I only have 10 minutes before Labor Law. I’m going to go and check my e-mail in the library. See if I got that interview with the Library of Congress…


Hey, what’s going on in the lobby? Why is everyone crowded around the television?


“Hey, Bridget. What’s going on?”


Why is Bridget crying?


“Oh, Reese! It’s awful…I just…can’t…believe…”

“What? You can’t believe what?”

“Just…look, Reese! Look!!”


Sigh. Okay, what is this? Lots of smoke…is that the World Trade Center? Is it on fire?


“Bridget…why is the World Trade Center on fire?”

“Reese! A plane just crashed into the tower!”

“What?!?”

“A plane just crashed into the tower. And before that…”



Unbelievable! I always knew a plane was going to hit one of those buildings. I remember standing at the top of one of those towers thinking, “Man, someday some stupid fool is going to crash a plane into this building.”

I hate it that I’m always able to predict the bad things that happen in this world.



“No, not just a plane,” interrupts Alan. “Reese, two planes hit both towers!”

“Wow! What are the odds that two Sesnas would hit the World Trade Center?”

“No, I don’t think you understand Reese. Not two Sesnas. Two planes! Commercial jet liners!! They both crashed into the towers!”


I’m confused…


“I’m confused. I don’t understand what you’re saying, Alan…”

“Reese! We’re under attack!! THE U.S. IS UNDER ATTACK!!!”


I’m still not following…


“And it’s not just New York, Reese! They’re attacking DC too!”


Okay, that one hurt…


“I DON’T UNDERSTAND!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, ‘THEY’RE ATTACKING DC TOO’?”

“Well…we don’t have all the details…”

“FORGET IT! I’LL FIND OUT MYSELF!!!”


Okay, be calm Reese. Everything is fine. Everything is fine. Alan is an idiot. Sure, some Sesnas flew into the World Trade Center. That’s sad. That’s very sad. But, DC is okay. So is everyone in DC. I’ll just get on the computer in the library and find out what’s going on…


Oh. My. God.


The Pentagon…


How…why…


Oh, God! I’ve got to call everyone. CC is in DC. My mom may be in DC. My God my whole family is in DC!!!


Okay, but the Pentagon is in Virginia. Maybe they were able to get out of the city once they found out what happened in Virginia? Yes, yes, they’re probably gone by now…


But, what if there’s another attack. What if they attack the Capital or something? God, DHHS is way to close to the Capital!!!


I’ve got to call everyone!!


“All Circuits are Busy…”


Oh, god! C’mon!!!!


“Hello, you have reached the voicemail of CC. Leave a message.”

“CC! GET OUT OF DC!! GET OUT IF YOU’RE NOT ALREADY OUT!! THEY’VE ALREADY ATTACKED NY AND THE PENTAGON! MY GOD, THE IRS MUST BE NEXT!!! GET OUT!!!”


Gotta try and get through to Mom…


“Hello, you have reached the voicemail of Mom. Leave a message.”


“Mom…please don’t be in DC today. Call me as soon as you get this message.”


Man!!


Son of a b*tch!!


Sigh. This is the worst day ever.




September 11, 2001

10:00 am


I’ve got to get home. Maybe they’re trying to call me at home…


[Reese’s Cell Phone Rings]


“Hello? Hello?”

“REESE!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS???”

“Eliza? Eliza where are you? What’s going on in DC?”

“They cancelled everything at GW. They told us to get out of the city. We’re leaving!”

“But, everything else is okay?”

“I don’t know. I just know about the Pentagon and then they evacuated us. They’re letting people out of the city, but no one can get in.”

“I hope my family is okay…”

“They’re probably getting out of the city too, Reese. I’m sure they’ll call you soon.”

“I really hope so, Eliza.”

“Reese?”

“Yeah…”

“Do you think…this is the end of the world?”

“Well, I thought about that, Eliza…”

“Yeah…”

“And, I’m pretty sure it is the end of world. We should probably be praying now.”

“Yeah, I think you’re right, Reese.”

“So…”

“Alright…I’m going to hang up so I can pray.”

“Okay, I’ll call you back later Eliza.”

“Oh, Reese. I hope we all get saved…”



September 11, 2001

10:10am


“And, this is video of the South Tower falling…”


Lord. It just gets worse.


I’ve got to call Lisa. I can’t believe this is happening!



“Hello?”

“LISA! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!?!”

“Man…why you calling me early in the morning like this?”

“Lisa! Are you sleeping?”

“Yeah, man!”

“Lisa!! The World Trade Center is GONE!!!”

“What?”

“The World Trade Center is GONE!!!!”

“Eh…what? What are you talking about?”

“Turn to the Today Show. NOW!!!”



Oh, my God. I can’t believe those buildings fell...



“Reese?”

“Yeah?”

“JESUS F------ CHRIST, REESE!!! WHAT THE F----?!? WHAT THE F--- ?!”

“It was a terrorist attack…”

“I WAS SLEEPING!!! I WENT TO SLEEP LAST NIGHT AND NOW I’M AWAKE. IN BETWEEN THAT TIME ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT THE WORLD LOST ITS MIND!?!?!?”

“Pretty much…”

“MY GOD!!!!”

“I want to know what’s happening in DC. Is this it? Is it over? I hope everyone is okay…”

“JESUS F------ CHRIST!!!!”

“It’s the end of the world, Lisa. You should really stop cursing.”

“MY F------ GOD!!!!”

“Sigh.”

“I JUST…I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS S----!!!”

“Yeah, but…oh, wait! That’s my mom, I gotta go…”

“WHO’S THE MOTHER F------ WHO DID THIS??? HE MUST DIE!!!!”

“I’ll call you later…”

“DIE!!! HE MUST DIE!!!”



“Mom?”

“Reese, everyone is okay. CC wasn’t at work today and I’m in Towson for a conference. Everyone in the family is getting out of the DC and no one was even near the Pentagon.”

“Oh, Mom. Thank God!!!”






October 11, 2001

9:00pm

Northern Virginia



Okay, how the heck am I supposed to get to this party in Crystal City? I’m so lost…


Oh…wow…the Pentagon…


Oh…this is where the plane hit…wow…




OH MY GOD!!! WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING AT THE PENTAGON?!?!?!?



Oh, GAWD!!! That guy with the gun is going to kill me!!!



“Stop the car, Ma’am. Stop the car!!!”

“I’M LOST!!!! I’M LOST!!!! I SWEAR!! I’M NOT A TERRORIST!!!!”

“Ma’am…”

“Please don’t shoot me!!!!!”

“Ma’am, a lot of people get lost over here. Just back the car up and take the exit to your left.”

“Ummm…okay…”

“Have a nice night, Ma’am.”

“Yes…umm…you too…uh…Sir…”



Whew! That was close…


Oh, man! I can’t believe I pulled right up into the Pentagon. I could have been killed!!!


Man…I’m such a loser…and this world sucks @$$.






© Copyright 2006. All Rights Reserved.





5 Comments:

Blogger Jomama said...

Wow. That kinda got me choked up because it brought back a lot of memories. I was in school when it happened and I went through the same "WTF?" confusion. I've been thinking about what I was doing that morning for the last few days. It's so crazy how quickly everything changed.

8:00 AM  
Blogger This Girl I Used to Know said...

I thought the same thing you did... Some guy was running around the office talking about someone flying a plane into the world trade center... and I thought... "Why all this fuss over a cessna?"

Sometimes it just still seems unreal.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Juicy77 said...

It started out as such a beautiful day.
I was driving to work. As soon as I heard that a second plane hit, I thought, "terrorists!" Apparently, I was the only one. I ran into work like the town crier, "Planes just flew into the World Trade Center! I think we're under some kind of attack! They'll probably head for the Capitol. And um, since we're a block away from the Capitol, I'm getting the hell out of here! GET OUT OF D.C. NOW!" Do you know they looked at me like I was crazy? My supervisor tried to say something to me about following emergency procedure, so I repeated, "I'M GOING HOME." One coworker actually said, "That's impossible. No one can attack us." Wha-??

4:54 PM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

I remember being in a bank and people were talking about commercial planes hitting buildings and I asked, "What movie was that?"

I knew that one day someone would attack us (law of averages), but I didn't think they would come that hard.

1:54 PM  
Blogger derek said...

I was taking the bus down to Akron.

My boss said a plane ran into the WTC. I said, damn, some Cessna pilot ran into the WTC, big deal.

Then I saw the smoke and fire and was like "Daaaaamn!". I was worried and scared for the folks in the Pentagon and the WTC but I did what people should do, keep updated and keep working. Then there was this Flight 93 that did a u-turn near Cleveland.

Wait...my Cleveland? Shit.

That one got shot down...excuse me, brought down in a field in PA because it was rumored to be headed to DC.

They evacuated UA at 10:30 but, as a member of WZIP, we are instructed to go to the radio station and help if there's not immediate physical danger to the campus. So I was there a few hours, hoping that Akron Metro was still running so that I could get back to Downtown Cleveland to get home. Once I got home and got some chinese, I felt sad for the people that died but I hoped...

"Maybe this is self-check time for America. Maybe cooler heads will prevail. Maybe America will think more about how its' actions affect others. Somebody is really pissed at us, let's find out why and not do that shit anymore. Nobody gets up and says 'I will destroy 2 100+ story buiildings...then I will grab a knish and a papaya.' There is a deeper reason to all of this. Let's find this out before flying off the deep end".

September 12, 2001 - America takes a running flying leap off the deep end...

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home