Friday, July 07, 2006

On this the Day of Her Daughter's Birth...

My mother was given a free trip to Miami. I got nothing.



Whatever.



Yes, today is my birthday. Don’t wish me a happy one, because it’s not. It’s a very unhappy birthday. Everything leading up to this birthday was jacked up; including how I was hospitalized for smoke inhalation (I’ll tell you about that later). But, really, it’s just par for the course as I was born on the unluckiest day known to man.


Really, it’s well known that my birthday (7/7) is an unholy day. Here are some bad things that happened on 7/7:



- Car bombs explode in London

- May Surratt and three other people were hung in Washington, D.C. for conspiring with John Wilkes Booth to assassinate President Lincoln

- The United States annexed Hawaii (hey, Native Hawaiians were not happy about that!)

- President Clinton delivered more Whitewater trial testimony before video cameras, this time testifying in case of two Arkansas bankers accused of making political contributions with bank funds

- Racial violence erupted in Bradford, England, as Asian and white youths ran amok in the streets armed with firebombs and baseball bats

- U.S. annexation of California was proclaimed at Monterey after the surrender of a Mexican garrison (some more land we stole, but this time we flipped it and gave it to Arnold Schwarzenegger)

- 11-year-old Samantha Smith of Manchester, Maine, left for a visit to the Soviet Union at the personal invitation of Soviet leader Yuri V. Andropov. She was never seen again.




See what I mean?



Okay, the stuff about Samantha Smith never being seen again is not true. But, everything else happened on 7/7. All bad! Hangings, bombings, racial violence, California. Oh, will the unholy effects of 7/7 ever end!!



Anyways, for today, the day of my birth, I’m going to the doctor to get more treatment for my smoke inhalation.



Sigh. It never ends…



More stuff coming next week- I promise. In the meantime, here are some more unlucky b@stards that were born on 7/7…



- Ringo Star

- Shelley Duvall

- Michelle Kwan

- Jorja Fox

- Vonda Shepard

- Cree Summer




© Copyright 2006. All Rights Reserved.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jomama said...

I can't wish you a happy birthday and I don't want to wish you an unhappy one, so I'll just say

BIRTHDAY!!! BIRTHDAY!!!

On another note, I had never heard of Samantha Smith, so I googled her. Almost made me cry. What a sad and sweet story.

Also, you share a birthday with some really cool people.

11:15 AM  
Blogger This Girl I Used to Know said...

You're just gonna drop this smoke inhalation thing on us and leave?!

1:58 PM  
Blogger This Girl I Used to Know said...

Oh, and, screw today - have a very merry unbirthday tomorrow! And the next day, and the next and the, well, you get the idea.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Jomama: Oh, I didn't know who Samantha Smith was either. I just picked her little blurb out of a "Today in History" article.

Anyways, I just googled her too. Now I feel bad for making that joke. Sorry everyone- I didn't know her story was so tragic. :(

Man...see! 7/7 is an unholy day! Booo!


Girlie: Hehehe, I'm going to write about the smoke inhalation next week. You'll get to relive the magic with me. Don't worry. ;)


Thanx for the birthday wishes, ya'll. :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I used to have a weird thing for Cree Summer.
Did you know she did Elmyra's voice on Animaniacs? I guess she does a TON of voice work now.
I digress.

Happy UNhappy birthday to you.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Well since it is not longer your birthday. I can now wish you a HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!! :)

6:18 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Do you sound like Lucille Ball now?

4:38 PM  
Blogger CubanDiva said...

LOL at you Reese! Happy birthday anyway! Whether you want it or not!! And I need to see a blog posting on the smoke inhalation situation fairly soon!

6:17 PM  
Blogger KOM said...

Argh! A belated happy birthday to you!

(the argh is because I was late, not because I be a pirate)

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home