Tales From the Childhood: Back to School Shopping
August, 1990.
Reese's mom takes 13-year old Reese to the mall in order to purchase a new set of clothes for the school year. Reese's mom thinks this will be an easy task, but she hasn't realized that her daughter recently decided to adopt a new style of dress. Reese's determination to stick with this new style will prove problematic for the task at hand...
Reese's mom takes 13-year old Reese to the mall in order to purchase a new set of clothes for the school year. Reese's mom thinks this will be an easy task, but she hasn't realized that her daughter recently decided to adopt a new style of dress. Reese's determination to stick with this new style will prove problematic for the task at hand...
Mom: "Hey, Reese, try these jeans on. They're on sale."
Reese: "I'm sorry Mom, but I can't do that."
Mom: "Why not?"
Reese: "Because, those are the "Man's" jeans."
Mom: "The "Man's" jeans?"
Reese: "Uh-huh."
Mom: "And, what's wrong with the "Man's" jeans?"
Reese: "Mom!?! We are at war!!!"
Mom: "We are?"
Reese: "YES!"
Mom: "With who?"
Reese: "THE "MAN"!!"
Mom: "I see."
Reese: "We, as Black Americans, will no longer freely give our money to the “Man”.”
Mom: "We won't?"
Reese: "NO!!"
Mom: "Why not?"
Reese: "Because the "Man" is trying to take us down! But, he will not take us down..."
Mom: "Uh-oh..."
Reese: "...we will survive by ANY MEANS NECESSARY..."
Mom: "Oh, geez! I knew this was going to happen. I should have never allowed her to read the Autobiography of Malcolm X..."
Reese: "...WE DIDN'T LAND ON PLYMOUTH ROCK! PLYMOUTH ROCK LANDED ON US!!!"
Mom: "...or watch Do the Right Thing..."
Reese: "FIGHT THE POWER!! WE'VE GOT TO FIGHT THE POWER'S THAT BE!!!"
Mom: "Alright, alright. What do I have to buy to get you to stop quoting Malcolm X and Public Enemy???"
Reese: "I have a list of things that I am prepared to wear this school year."
Mom [reading Reese's list]: "Sigh. African medallions- only the red, green, and black kind, not the one with yellow on it, because yellow doesn't have any place on an African medallion anyways, that's just stupid..."
Reese: "Word."
Mom [still reading]: "A red, green, and Black "X" cap, and also several Black Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, and Marcus Garvey t-shirts..."
Reese: "Word."
Mom [continues reading]: "Any and everything Cross-Colors..."
Reese: "Cross-Colors is fresh, Mom, I'm tellin' you!!"
Mom [finishing reading]: "And a couple of New Edition/Bell Biv Devoe buttons?!?"
Reese: "Ronnie DeVoe is soooo hottt!!!"
Mom: "Alright, Reese, is any of this stuff here at the mall, because I'm not getting it if it's not."
Reese: "I KNEW the "Man" already had you brainwashed, Mom. I KNEW you would make this difficult for me. That's why I made sure we came to the only mall that has a Black-owned clothing store. Let's go!!"
Mom: "Why did I have to instill pride of culture in this girl!?!"
Reese and her mom leave Sears and arrive at the very colorful, Black-owned boutique called The Motherland.
Mom: "Oh, geez. This looks expensive..."
Reese: "Hehehehehe!!! Finally! A store just for my people!!"
Mom: "Alright. Show me what "your people" want and I'll tell you if "your family" can afford it."
Reese: "Oooooo, I want all of these medallions, these X caps, these BBD buttons..."
Mom: "Uh-huh..."
Reese: "This Cross-Colors green jacket, this Cross-Colors yellow t-shirt, and this Cross-Colors orange jumpsuit!!"
Mom: "Wow. Has Black pride rendered you color blind?"
Reese: "Ring it up, cashier!"
Mom: "Hold on. All of these Cross-Colors items cost way too much! The t-shirt alone is $40.00!!"
Reese: "Are you saying, you're not going to buy this stuff for me?"
Mom: "Yes."
Reese: "But, MOM!! You're the one who's always saying that we should support Black-owned businesses. Now, you don't want to do it. I can't believe this!!"
Mom: "I knew those words would come back to haunt me."
Reese [looking sorry and pitiful]: "I DON'T BELIEVE IN ANYTHING ANYMORE!!!"
Mom: "Alright! Far be it from me to destroy my own child's foolish ideals. You get one BBD button and one Cross-Color's t-shirt. The rest of the stuff we'll buy off the street in the city. Bootleg is much cheaper than authentic. AND, you'll still be supporting Black-owned “businesses”."
Reese: "WORD!! THAT'S DOPE, MOM!!"
Mom: "Yea, yea, whatever."
Reese: "GET UP, GET, GET, GET DOWN! MY MOM IS THE BEST IN THIS TOWN!!!"
Mom: "Sigh. I've created a monster."
© Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved.

10 Comments:
Oh the days of Cross-colors. God we really were color blind. My favorite was the orange jumpsuit with the multi-colored letters in boxes all over it. God what was I thinking!!!
LOL...sorry I can't relate here with all the cross colors, I got stuck wearing the family hand-me-downs : /
Oh, Dez, you didn't miss anything. Only future humiliation at how you used to dress.
Just be glad you're not from the Caribbean otherwise you might still be wearing Cross Colors.... LMAO!!!!
Oh, Joanne! I'm sad for the Caribbean right now. ;p
hahahahaah....damn the man!!!
loved it.
and i LOVE your rphoto, sooo prettyy
--kido
I remember Cross Colors too and how I never had any and the closest I had were some rainbow striped cutoffs that I got from my friend and some coveralls with comic strips all over them. I was so neglected as a child. I wish I had your persuasion skills. I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.
Caro: Thanx! All the blog girls take great pictures, I've noticed. ;)
Jomama: Well, I only got one Cross-Colors t-shirt out of my mother. I kinda knew that was all I would get. So, I was happy. ;)
That sounds like the crap I am going through with my daughter! Only now days it is Phat farm, Baby Phat, Tommy, and a few other expensive people. I don't remember EVER telling my mom what I wanted to wear. But then I had to wear uniforms. All of a sudden I am dreading back to school. *sigh*
lol..Cross-colors oh man i remember those.
Post a Comment
<< Home