Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Reese the Law Girl: Advocate for Toddlers

I recently had an interesting telephone conversation with my 3 year old, second cousin. It went something like this...


Anthony: "Hi, Aunt Reese!"

Reese: "Hi, Anthony. Don't you remember I'm not your aunt, I'm your cousin?"

Anthony: "Whatcha doing Aunt Reese?"

Reese: "Your second cousin in fact..."

Anthony: "Are you going to bed, Aunt Reese?"

Reese: "No, I'm eating dinner. What are you doing?"

Anthony: "I'm getting ready to go to bed."

Reese: "Really?"

Anthony: "Yea, but I want to drink some water first. But, they won't let me!"

Reese: "They won't let you drink water? Who is "they" ?"

Anthony: "My mommy and daddy!"

Reese: "Ohhh..."

Anthony: "Yea, they won't give me no water!"

Reese: "I think that was a double negative, Anthony."

Anthony: "A dwabble negative? What's that?"

Reese: "You'll learn in elementary school."

Anthony: "I'm not in school yet, Aunt Reese."

Reese: "Yea, I know."

Anthony: "You're silly, Aunt Reese."

Reese: "Well, thank you."

Anthony: "You're welcome. But, Aunt Reese, I'm still thirsty. They won't give me no water!!"

Anthony's Dad [in the background]: "Okay, boy, get off this phone. Always tellin' people your business..."

Anthony: "Uh-oh! I gotta go, or I'm gonna get my butt beat!"

Anthony's Dad: "Boy!!!"

Anthony: "Save me, Aunt Reese! Save me!!"

Reese: "Anthony, I think you better go to bed."

Anthony: "Okay, bye Aunt Reese!!"

Deidra (Anthony's Mom): "Did you hear that boy? You know what he was trying to do?"

Reese: "Get me to tell you guys to give him some water."

Deidra: "He's something. Trying to get you to advocate on his behalf!"

Reese: "Yea. We should have never told him what a lawyer was."



© Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved.

13 Comments:

Blogger Desiree said...

Very cute. Loved the last line.

5:42 PM  
Blogger KOM said...

Quite a precocious 3 year old!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Yes, Anthony is a cutie pie who has quite a flair for the dramatic. He's either going to be a comedian or a football player who moonlights as a comedian (he's a little chubby ;).

9:20 PM  
Blogger CubanDiva said...

ROFLMAO!! That is so cute! Kids learn fast these days. Tell his mom wait until he says he is calling CPS/DFS on them!

8:49 AM  
Blogger ix said...

awww.. please advocate on my behalf.. i'll send my contacts later ;)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Kaci said...

LOL Yup, kids are pretty intuitive on things. and manipulative. Don't you think so, Aunt Reese? :)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Kim: The day he calls child welfare services, is the day that a little boy goes missing forever. ;)

IX: The funny thing is, I expect every adult I know to call me up and ask me to sue someone for them (it happens all the time). I think it's getting out of control when the children expect it. ;)

Kaci: Yes, I'm starting to think my title as "Aunt" is just a ploy to get me to do stuff for him. He doesn't even call his real uncle, "uncle." And, he won't call my sister, "Aunt CC." She tried to get him to do it, but he laughed at her and called her "CC." LOL! You have to be useful to be called "aunt." ;)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

lol.

i love cousins.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I think your cousin has been speaking to my Godson (Cyrus.) He cannot call me Robin, so he calls me Rah-Rah. He had a nest of baby robin birds in his front yard and when he was telling me about them,
I said "oh, so you have robin birds in your front yard"
and he said "NO, 'dey ain't rah-rah birds, 'dey Cyrus birds"
Kids say the cutest things...EVER!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Robin: Awww, that's so cute. I tell you, I'm not sure if I was that precious as a toddler. I think I just ran around with a stupid look on my face the whole time. ;)

9:38 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

aww he is a cutie.

2:43 PM  
Blogger PSUMommy said...

I wandered over here from JOAT's blog- or maybe it was KOM's- I forget now, nevermind.

Anyway.

That is SO FUNNY!! Holy crap, that just made me shoot water out of my nose.

I'm so very glad my girl isn't the only one who does stuff like that. Three-year-olds definitely have one-track minds!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

Thanx for stopping by, Psumommy. :)

Yea, these kiddies are too much. Way smarter than I was at that age. When I was 3, I was wondering around with a stupid grin on my face and picking my nose.

Well, not quite like that, but you know, still not as smart as the modern 3 year olds. ;)

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home