Sunday, February 19, 2006

Congratulations Shani!!!


Why didn't anyone tell me I have a step-cousin in the Winter Olympics!?!?!?!


I just found out a couple of days ago!


In any case, congrats go out to my cousin* who just became the first African-American to win an individual Olympic gold medal in the Winter Olympics! He won his gold in the long track, speed skating thingy.


Yeah, Shani!!




That's history ya'll, so you better recognize!








*Yeah, that's right! I'm claiming him as family! Everyone else gets to have someone famous in their family and now I do too. I mean, yeah, there is that famous singer that my Dad says we're related too, but I just think we have the same last name. The way I figure it, this is the closest I'm going to get to true name-dropping (with the exception of Leslye's brother), so I'm going to be riding this one for the rest of my life. Shani Davis- Reese the Law Girl's cousin. Nobody better question me on it either! >p~~~

10 Comments:

Blogger KOM said...

I was absolutely shocked to read that Davis was the first African American to win gold in the Winter Olymics. Perhaps incredulous, I should say.

After some research, it appears that a Vonetta Flowers won gold in the bob-sled competition in the '02 Winter games.

Still, it had never occured to me to think about it. To say that I'm surprised would be an understatement.

Send your "cousin" a lucky teddy bear for me.

4:41 AM  
Blogger KOM said...

Ahh, individual gold medal.

History, indeed.
And because I'm still up at quarter to 5 AM, I got to watch it on tape delay.

Lucky me ;)

7:41 AM  
Blogger derek said...

Now, this is a great moment in Black History.

Black folks representing in the cold...look out curling!

10:04 AM  
Blogger CubanDiva said...

Reese,
He wasn't the first African American to win gold in the Winter Olympic. Vonetta Flowers was. She won in the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake for bobsled. Shani is the first African American to win for speed skating. I am so excited for him because he has shown that growing up on the South side of Chicago with no money can't keep you down!! You go BOY!

11:30 AM  
Blogger jeopardygirl said...

I think this is great. I believe that sport is the great racial equalizer--or it should be. I saw that race, and that guy is F-A-S-T!!! Hope it runs in the family... :)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Reese The Law Girl said...

I stand corrected. He was the first African-American to win individual gold as Kom and Cubandiva pointed out. I corrected that in the post.

Good looking out guys. :D

10:08 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

uh Reese, your cousin is cute! YAY for your cousin on his win.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Jomama said...

I read that in the news the yesterday. Very cool that he's related to you. That's something to be proud of :) I'm proud of him and I don't even know him!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

YAY!

that's very cool.

i'm one of those people that think it's fascinated and amazing to be related to/know famous people. hehe...i'm also a loser.

but, that's very very cool and i'm excited for your cousin.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Shirazi said...

Your blurb ref; Yes she is lovely.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home