Monday, August 18, 2008

Beijing Update #1

Okay, everyone. So, I'm currently in Beijing right now and I'm having a BLAST. I know I said I would do some sort of blog from Beijing, and I am, but it's going to be in the form of the e-mails that I've sent out to friends and family. So, here is Beijing Update #1:

Beijing Day 1‏
From: Reesey Reese
Sent: Sat 8/16/08 2:02 AM
To: An assortment of People

Hello fam and friends,

CC, Lisa, and I have landed in Beijing at around 2:00pm Saturday, local time (2AM East Coast time). The flight was good, not too much turbulence and we made it through customs fine.

The hotel we're staying at is the Jinqiao Apartment Hotel. If I get a chance, I will upload some pictures later of the hotel. It's a suite and we have a little kitchen that even has a little washeing machine. But, the beds are not so great.

Holy cow! I don't know how the Chinese do it, but the beds are literally hard as rocks! It's so funny, because we anticipated fighting over who was going to have to take the cot to sleep. As it turns out the cot is waaayyyy more comfie than the beds! So, we're on a rotating cot schedule!

For our first adventure we went out to eat at a Korean BBQ restaurant. Yes, that's right, we traveled all the way to China to eat Korean food. BUT, it was authentic Korean food and it was really good. Of course, in the process of ordering the great Korean food we thoroughly embarrassed ourselves.

Of course there was a language barrier. We ordered a dish to share (as is the custom at the Korean BBQ), but then the waiter guy kept saying something to us in gibberish that we interpreted as 'You must order more.' What he was really saying was, 'You stupid Americans, that's way too much food.'

In the end, they brought out a ton of beef, and lamb, and rice, and other dishes that I have no idea of what it was. The waiter laughed at us when he saw our faces. We laughed at us when we saw all the food. Then we called our Tour Guide and he had to tell the waiter in Mandarin that we ordered too much food and that we wanted to pack it up to take back home. It was so very sad, yet funny at the same time.

Oh, and the best part was that the manager came over in the middle of the meal with the bill. We thought for sure it would be like a hundred bucks. Even the manager wondered if we would have the cash to pay for the meal --200 Yuan. Do you know how much that is in dollars? It's 30 bucks. When we saw it was 200 Yuan we were sooo happy. And the manager was shocked that we could casually pull out 100 Yuan each (CC didn't have her Chinese money yet) and pay the bill no problem. The people at the restaurant thought we were super rich.

Okay, so next we went to the Lake bar district which was all sorts of awesome. We immediately started buying things and haggling on the price. Then we wondered over to this bar that was playing hip-hop music. Inside were all these young Americans (20's/30's). They bought us drinks and a good time was had by all.

Okay, I'm really tired now as it is 2AM in the morning. Just to let you know Beijing is GORGEOUS!! There is ZERO pollution and in fact my sinuses have never been better. I may just have to move here! And the Chinese people are soooo nice. They really like us for some reason (they keep repeating everything we say; when we say 'okay' they giggle and say 'okay' really, really excited like; also, when CC was on the phone with the Tour Guide and said 'hello' one of the waiter dudes giggled and was like 'Hehehehehe, 'hello;' I don't know why, but they get a kick out of hearing Americans say 'hello' and 'okay.')

Anyhoo, the Great Wall is tomorrow. I'll let you know how it was.

Peace and Love,

Reese xoxox



Anonymous Anonymous said...

About two weeks before the olympics the Chinese cut the vehicle traffic in half and shut down factories and halted construction. The air is actually very,very dirty otherwise. This is what I read.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home