Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Amazing Race

Remember our friendly African-American Assistant District Attorney, Lisa? Well the following is something that Lisa told me happened to her the other day. I thought it was hilariously funny so I thought I would share.




A Super-Duper Deluxe Kmart Somewhere in Georgia…



Lisa: [looking around in the book section]

Random Kmart Employee [who happens to be white- yes, this fact you need to know]: “Can I help you find something Miss?”

Lisa: “Yeah, I’m looking for the book by Stephen Colbert. It’s called I Am America and So Can You!.”

Random Employee: “Hmmm…that doesn’t ring a bell. Let’s see…”


[Random Employee looks for the book on various shelves]


Random Employee: “Oh, here it is!”

Lisa: “Oh, you found it?”

Random Employee: “Yes, here you go.”


[Random Employee hands Lisa the book]


Lisa [looks at the book shocked]: “Ummm…”

Random Employee: “Yeah, when you said the title I couldn’t quite place it, but when I saw the book I knew this was the one YOU wanted.”

Lisa: “Ummmm…”

Random Employee: “Yup, I knew YOU wanted this book…”


The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.”


Lisa: “Uhhh…”

Random Employee: “You know you should really wait to buy it next week when it comes out in trade paperback. You’ll save a lot more money.”

Lisa: [silent]

Random Employee: “Is there anything else you need? I mean, do you need something further on Barack Obama?”

Lisa: “Ummm…no…ummm…I’m good…”

Random Employee: “Okay, well thanks for shopping at Kmart.”

Lisa: [walks away slowly]

Random Employee: “Come back soon!”




OMG! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

I’m sorry, but I laughed so hard when I first heard this. As Lisa said, when the very words that come out of your mouth are completely changed solely to fit a generalization of what a person thinks another person of a certain race/ethnicity is interested in reading, well there’s no hope for race relation progression in the U.S.

Who knew that Stephen Colbert, I am America and So Can You! translated so easily into Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope?



So sad. Yet, really…so funny!




© Copyright 2007. All Rights Reserved.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger KOM said...

Oh, sweet Jesus.

I'd love to call you or Lisa a liar, but what the hell?

All that I can say is that Florida, being south, is way south. Although I guess that anything that I draw from that is also inherently racist.

I'm trying to imagine myself in that position... that is, my pale ass trying to pawn a book.

Maybe they work on commission... and heuristics?

2:19 AM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Welcome, K-Mart Shoppers . . .

2:26 PM  
Blogger sabriyahm said...

For once she got this story completely right without embelishment. Though I only said Um about 3 times before I was silent. Shock will do that to you. Even the part where she said I saw this book and knew it was the one was true. Honestly I think she saw a book with a black person on the cover and said. Yep thats it.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home